Monday, June 13, 2011

First Haircuts

Last Monday, the girls had their first official haircuts. This was Kendall’s first cut ever, and Ella’s first cut from anyone other than Mommy. Let’s just say we were 1 for 2.

I made appointments at Short Cuts 4 Kids…in Springhurst about 5 minutes from our house…right after naptime so they would be fresh. That worked perfectly. They were so excited when we went inside and they saw the toys to play with. Ella went first and chose which car she wanted to sit in. They had 4 cars to choose from, 2 for boys and 2 for girls. Ella chose the purple Princess convertible over the purples Barbie jeep. She was excited when the hairdresser turned the TV on Dora for her, but not so excited when she went to put the apron around her neck. She was ok with that once I explained that the apron would keep her pretty dress clean. (If you haven’t heard yet, Ella will ONLY wear dresses these days.) She did great and sat still while she trimmed her hair. I only wanted a trim. I hope one day Ella’s hair can grow long, but the front has still not quite caught up with the back and it needed a little trim to thicken it up a little. She did great and was excited to hear that she could get a sucker when she was finished. Next up was Kendall. The funniest part of the trip was Kendall's reaction when Ella was getting her hair cut. She was having fun playing with toys, but once she noticed what was going on with Ella she walked around right behind Ella's car and kept pulling at her hair and looking at the hairdresser...it was like she was saying, "Do mine, too!" When it was her turn she sat in the convertible with Ella and, much to my surprise, she didn’t move a muscle!! She sat completely still while the lady cut off her mullet!! Kendall’s mullet had gotten ugly. It pained me to have any of her hair cut, but the mullet had to go.

I was super happy with the haircuts at first, especially when we were only charged a “bang trim” for Kendall instead of a cut, and they gave me a piece of her hair for her baby book and let me take my own pictures instead of charging me for the “First Haircut Special.” Then we got home and after Ella had bounced around a little I realized that the back of her hair was completely uneven and I had to cut it myself. I probably took another full inch off myself trying to even it up. So, we had a great experience AT Short Cuts, but I think I learned my lesson and will continue to cut the girls hair myself until we have a change of style…which hopefully we are several years away from!

Ella trying hard to sit still

Good job, Ella!

Kendall's turn!


Way to go, girls!


No more mullet! Unfortunately I didn't think to get a "before" shot...it was pretty bad!

1 comment:

  1. We had a similar problem at our local kids hair cut place when we took Jacob (for his first cut). The experience was great, but the cut not so much. We also cut the boys hair at home now, but we use the clippers. I can't wait to see the pictures

    ReplyDelete