Today Ella and I made a visit to Oldham County Pediatrics to see Dr. Bindner for her 3 year checkup. It seems we've been at the doctor a lot lately, with all of Kendall's well baby visits, but the first thing Dr. Bindner said was that Ella hadn't been to the doctor for a sick visit since last February! Yay! Though I feel like we kind of cheat. If Ronnie weren't a doctor she would have probably been 2-3 times since then. He gives me reassurance when she's sick..."Kelly, she's fine. It's just an upper respiratory infection. It's viral so she doesn't need meds. It will just be the waste of a copay." He really comes in handy sometimes! ;)
The first thing the nurse did was weigh and measure her. She is 27 lbs 6 oz (30th percentile!!!!!) and 35 3/4 inches (25th percentile). I couldn't believe she was in the 30th percentile for weight! She has been eating like crazy lately so I thought it was probably higher than at her 2 year checkup (around 8th percentile), but I never expected that much of a jump. Way to go big eater!!
Everything else looked great. We talked a lot about her allergies, which have been completely out of control lately. She's always had allergy problems and has been on medicine regularly since she was 15 months old, but the last month has been especially difficult. Aside with taking Claritin everyday, she has been having lots of bad allergy attacks and it seems like it's every other day that I have to give her Benadryl and allergy eye drops. Today Dr. Bindner wrote her prescriptions for both Singulair and Nasonex and encouraged us to schedule an appointment with an allergist and have her tested. We've been putting this off for awhile, but we can't any longer. She is miserable. Last spring/summer/fall we basically couldn't go outside at all because her eyes would swell up and her nose would start pouring. We can't go to anyone's house who has a cat because within seconds of walking in the door her eyes swell up. And all of our friends and most of our family have dogs and she usually has an attack at their houses, too. Lately she has been having really bad attacks when we aren't around any animals...and I'm fairly certain that she is allergic to almonds. She needs to be tested so we can know for sure what she is allergic to and make adjustments to help her. Dr. Bindner recommended an allergist at Kentuckiana Allergy and I'm excited to meet with him. She mentioned that he is very conservative and won't put her on allergy shots unless he feels it is necessary. That's exactly what we're looking for. In the meantime, hopefully these prescriptions will start to help. They'd better...it cost $58 for both of them. Ouch.
Ella had to get 1 vaccine today. She seemed prepared, but when the nurse walked in with the shot she kept saying, "But I really don't need a shot. I don't need one..." She refused to lay down, so I held her arms while she sat up and watched. I could tell the nurse didn't want me to let her do this, but Ella is so interested in medical stuff that I thought she might as well watch. She screamed as soon as she was injected and then for 5-10 seconds, then she was fine. When we got home she was excited to show Daddy, Ross & Kendall her shot. She said, "Ross, I got a shot. I got it in this leg, NOT this leg. It's on my left leg. Don't touch it."
No comments:
Post a Comment