Many of you have asked about Jamie...I finally got an update! She has safely arrived in Tonga and she called mom and dad at 1 a.m. last night...she is 17 hours ahead of EST so it was 6 p.m. in Tonga. She recieved a phone soon after arriving but the one she received was messed up so she had to get a new one, which is why it took us so long to hear from her.
As I type this it is 3:30 p.m. in Louisville, which makes it 8:30 a.m. on Saturday in Tonga. Crazy. She was supposed to begin her day with a 3 hour swimming/safety course. Since Tonga is made up of 170 islands she will probably spend a lot of time in the beautiful ocean! Then later they were going to see some kind of "fashion show" to get a better idea of the appropriate way to dress in Tonga. Women there are expected to be dressed extremely modest.
Here is Jamie's current address:
Jamie Ogles
Peace Corps
P.O. Box 147
Nuku'Alofa, Tonga
I believe this is her address while she undergoes her 3 month training period. After that she will be placed at a specific location and her address will probably change. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm sure she would love to hear from everyone! Mom had looked up the shipping rates to Tonga and I believe shipping a standard envelope/letter is 98 cents...not too bad considering she is almost 7,000 miles away! I'll continue to keep you updated as we hear from her. And again, I'm sure she would be more than excited to hear from her friends and family, or a stranger offering a kind word and encouragement! The next few weeks might be a little overwhelming for her as she adapts to a new environment, learns a new language, etc. Even if you don't take the time to send her a note, please take some time to say a prayer for her!
No comments:
Post a Comment