Thursday, October 7, 2010

6 months!

Wow. I can’t believe we have been blessed with our little Kendall for half a year! Everyone is right when they say that time seems to go by much quicker with the 2nd baby.

Today Ella and I took Kendall to see Dr. Bindner for her 6 month checkup. Things went great. I’ve always joked that Kendall would weigh more at 6 months than Ella did at one year…I was right! Kendall is 17 lbs 7 oz (just below 90th percentile) and 27.25 inches (95th percentile). So she is still topping the charts! Ella weighed 17 lbs 3 oz (3rd-5th percentile) at 1 year old. :)

Kendall received 3 shots and 1 oral vaccine today, including the flu vaccine. She’ll have to go back in 4 weeks to get her 2nd dose. Ella also received a flu vaccine today. Based on her age, she could have received the flu mist, but since she has just gotten over a respiratory illness we didn’t want her to receive the live virus that is in the mist, so she got a shot. She hasn’t had a shot in awhile, but in the past she did well if we talked about it ahead of time to get her prepared (and mommy had a sucker in tow). But today I didn’t even think about her getting a flu shot until we got there and they asked if I wanted Kendall to get hers. So we didn’t have time to prepare and she didn’t know what was going on until we dropped her pants. Poor thing. She freaked OUT. I had to hold her down while the nurse gave her the shot. It was awful. I’ve always handled it well when the girls have received vaccinations but I think this is the first time I’ve ever gotten the panicked screaming before the shot. It was tough. Thankfully she calmed down pretty quickly afterwards and watched Kendall get her shots, and she did great. Kendall only cried for about 15 seconds after the shots. When we got home we took off Ella’s super sticky doctor’s office bandaid and put an Elmo bandaid on and that made her feel better.

Now for me and Ronnie, we are having a harder time than the girls shaking this respiratory infection. Ella is essentially over it but Kendall is still doing some coughing. I think I have full blown bronchitis. I used to get it all the time as a kid, but it’s been awhile. Yesterday was rough….hilarious in hindsight, but rough. Ronnie and I had both completely lost our voices so we had to whisper all day. Kendall thought all the whispering was funny, but Ella didn’t like it at all because it shook up her nap time and bed time routines of reading books and singing songs. My voice is back today but I can’t quit coughing and it hurts really badly in my chest. Ronnie and I were talking (whispering) last night and realized that this is the first time we have ever both been sick with the same thing, aside from the time that we got food poisoning from a rotisserie chicken at Wal-Mart. I threw that in there to remind everyone to NEVER buy a rotisserie chicken from a supermarket!!


No comments:

Post a Comment