Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Big Girl Beds & Big Girl Panties!

Ella is officially a “big girl.”

Around her birthday we tried unsuccessfully to potty train her. Mentally she was ready, she completely understood what was going on and how to go to the potty, but physically her body wasn’t quite there. About a month ago we decided to try again and she responded much better. Instead of going 30 minutes in between bathroom trips like her little bladder forced her to before she was now able go about 2 hours or more in between, which was much less frustrating for her! Though something strange happened. Ella has been going to the potty off and on since she was about 18 months old, but for the first time ever she developed a fear of going #2 on the potty. We aren’t sure what triggered this. After about a week of her saying she had to go #2, sitting on the potty, then saying she didn’t have to go #2, then running behind the blue recliner to do it and leaving me with a mess to clean up I finally got sick of it. One morning we woke up and I put a diaper on her and told her that if she couldn’t be a big girl and poop on the potty then she had to wear diapers. Then later I told her that she couldn’t get her big girl bed (something she has been VERY excited about) until she learned to poop on the potty. That day her fear disappeared!! She sat on the potty, did her business, then said “I want my big girl bed!” I admit that I will bribe my child when the situation calls for it. :)

Ever since then she has had no problems and is now potty trained. She’s been in panties for the last few weeks but on Monday she passed our "test". The only place that I was still making her wear diapers (aside from nap time and bed time) was the YMCA because she had been getting upset when we would go there. She has gotten over her separation anxiety so on Monday I took her in panties. I expected to pick her up and find her wearing the spare shorts that I put in her bag. I was pleasantly surprised to see that she was still wearing her original shorts, and was very excited when the worker told me that she had just gone to the bathroom about 10 minutes before and had told them that she needed to go…she didn’t even wait to be asked!! We are so excited and proud of her!

A few months ago we purchased a new bedroom suite with a twin bed for Ella, but we have been waiting until we felt like she was ready for the new bed, and waiting for her to be potty trained. Last Friday we decided to set it up. Ronnie had 5 days off in a row so we thought this was the time to do it. I definitely didn’t want to go through those first few nap and bed times by myself with a 2 month old! She was soooo excited as we were setting everything up. Then came nap time and everything changed. We didn’t have the problem of her running out of her room with newfound freedom, she was just absolutely freaked out and scared to sleep in the bed by herself. The first couple of days we had to lay down with her or stay in the room until she fell asleep, but ever since then she has done great and sleeps in her bed just fine! The funny part is that she still hasn’t realized that it’s ok for her to come out of her room AFTER she wakes up. This afternoon I was downstairs feeding Kendall when I heard Ella jabbering to her baby dolls. Then she started yelling for me to come get her like she would in her crib. I yelled back that she could come downstairs and it took about 5 minutes of us yelling back and forth to convince her that she could come out of her room!





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment