Saturday, March 12, 2011

10K Down!

This morning I completed the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown – the 10K. The 10K is twice the distance of the 5K (obviously) that I ran in 2 weeks ago – so today’s race was 6.2 miles. Well, 6.27 to be exact. I always thought it was just 6.2 but found out yesterday while looking at the route online that an official 10K is 6.27. So there ya go.


This race is the one I knew I would have the most trouble setting my goal time. I had a pretty good idea of how fast I could do a 5K and ended up beating my goal by about 8 seconds, so I was pretty close there. I already have a good idea of goal times for the 10 miler and Mini, but I just wasn’t sure how fast I could do 6.27 miles. So I “unofficially” set my goal time for 51 minutes, meaning that I only told my goal to Ashley and Ronnie because I was pretty sure I couldn’t run it in an 8:12 pace and I didn’t want to have to admit defeat. I guess I should start pushing myself a little harder, because I ended up running it in 50:17, an 8:05 pace, and I was disappointed in myself at the end because I knew I could have gone faster, and definitely could have broken 50 minutes. I paced myself too slowly in the beginning and by the time I realized it, it was too late to make up for it. Oh well. Now I know for next year! I was still thrilled to have run it as fast as I did!

It was a beautiful morning for a race. The sun was shining and there was a slight breeze blowing. Can't get much better than that! It was a very scenic route and I found myself running through parts of Louisville that I’m not at all familiar with. The start and finish lines were several, several blocks away so after finding a great, free parking spot near the starting line we took advantage of the shuttle service and rode a yellow school bus back to the starting line. It worked out great and we were on the first bus back. And I can’t leave out my favorite part of the races…the free post-race food. Thank you, Panera Bread, for cinnamon crunch bagels. You truly make my race days.

I also need to throw a shout-out to my awesome mother who came up Friday after work and stayed until this afternoon so she could watch the girls this morning while I raced because Ronnie had to work today. You’re awesome, mom!!

Two weeks until the 10 miler! I ran 10 miles last week and it was pretty miserable, and I hear that the 10 miler is quite miserable since part of it is through the hilly Iroquois Park. My goal = 1 hr 25 minutes, an 8:30 pace. I’m just going to go on and throw it out there and make myself accountable!

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment